Monday, May 11, 2015

What Is the Foundation for Your Life's Journey?

 As a Freshman, I attended St. Aloysius High School in Jersey City, NJ.  Almost every class period, in which I had the subject Religion, I heard the quote, "Life is a Journey."  I never once thought what it meant.  As a thirteen year old entering high school, I was oblivious to a lot of things, including the many life lessons playing out in front of my immature eyes.  My teacher, a short Asian woman, gave everyone extra credit every Monday if we wrote down what we learned from Sunday Mass.  I was not raised Catholic, but attended a non-denomination Bible-based church my entire life.  Needless to say, I took advantage of everything I was taught from the private Christian elementary school I attended and children's church services.

Elated at my weekly Sunday Mass breakdown, my Religion teacher would teach all the essentials of Catholicism.  I may not remember what she taught, but for some reason, her Life is a Journey quote is the only thing that stands out.  I believe the reason the quote stands out so much as an adult because it reinforce the wise words my mother always said to my younger, always having the answer and last word self.

"Just keep on living." is what my Mom used to say.  Never with an explanation, I was just told those words, and that marked the end to any conversation, of course with a final rebuttal from yours truly.

So simple, yet so thought provoking are each of the two quotes.  They both hint at the constant evolving state of being.  If you live long enough, you may get a chance to see the journey that brought you from immaturity and countless ignorant ways.  As we constantly evolve into much wiser selves, how then do we morally stay grounded when we reach new legal age milestones?  If our rationale and thinking constantly change due to life's journey, how do we ensure we remain true to our beliefs?

The answer lies in what you believe.  The belief I'm referring to is unequivocal in nature.  If you question what you believe, search for the answers until you are certain.  When we believe something, but fail to internalize and live by our beliefs, we tend to waiver and backslide.  This means we need to strengthen the foundation of our beliefs so we may be able to firmly walk throughout life's journey, and look back on our growth.

What is the foundation for your life's journey?  What principles guide your actions and thoughts?  Lastly.  How well does your journey reflect your beliefs?


No comments:

Post a Comment