Thursday, February 12, 2015

The ones that hurt you the most...

It’s been said, “The ones that you love the most are usually the ones that hurt you the most.” and “The people who really care won’t hurt you.”  Which one is true?  Which one is false?  Which one makes so much sense that we questioned whether those people loved us at all?

We've all been hurt time and time again by people we love, admire, and respect.  That type of hurt stings worse than the first time you learned not to eat ketchup on your food after peeling that dry sliver of skin on your lips.  Despite getting over it, that’s the type of hurt that we never get forget.  Our opinions for those who we love, admire, and respect are directly tied to our emotions, which in turn dictate our present and sometimes future actions.

Who’s at fault for us getting hurt?  Is it the person who instinctively did only what they knew?  Is it the person who held the other person on such a high pedestal that they could not do wrong until they did wrong?

Neither.  It’s just the way of life.  Sometimes people will hurt people.  As long as it’s not deliberate and intentional, chalk it up as a flaw of human nature.  We can’t always control our feelings, but we can control who we put on a pedestal and how high up that pedestal goes.  Seeing the good qualities in a person is as natural as breathing.  What is not natural is being jaded to the fact that we all are imperfectly flawed.

One of my flaws is the fact that I like to be liked.  I’m not the bend over backwards type to make you like me.  If you don’t like me for who I am, I could care less.  However, I thoroughly enjoy being liked.  Who doesn't?  The problem comes when my perfectionist character flaw intertwines with a childhood emotional flaw.  As I strive to be perfect, I unfairly place a subconscious belief that everyone else strives to be perfect, thoughtful, and as considerate as I believe myself to be.  Needless to say, I've struggled with showing the real me in the midst of who I strive to be.


Instead of being in our feelings because of an end result different than how our mind played out the scenario, we need to lower the pedestals we've setup, or completely remove them from underneath people and realize we all are perfectly made with our imperfect flaws.  

1 comment:

  1. I truly believe that the one you love the most is the one that can hurt you the most. You have let this person inside, you have lowered your defenses for this person. You have placed your trust in this person. So yes when that hurt comes whether it is with intent or not that hurt will be severe. We can't say the people who really care wont hurt you, because again it may not be intentional. They may not even know they have slighted you. It's not a situation were you have placed them on pedestal, you merely let them into your world. A place where not many people get to go. We were not placed here to be alone. We cannot just close off the world, that isn't living. At some point we must let someone in, and that may come with being severely hurt whether it is intentional or not.

    ReplyDelete