Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Infidelity in Art...Brainwashing or Imitating?

Why is it that we are increasingly introduced to examples of infidelity on in the art form that encompass our lives?  Could this possibly be a reason why more than 50% of men and women have admitted to committing infidelity in a relationship, or why more than 65% of men and women stated they would have an affair if they knew they would never get caught? Infidelity Statistics  I wish I could say that I'm surprised at the results, but then again, I clearly see the level of thinking, which leads to the statistics.
Fact of the matter is, no one likes to have their partner commit some type of infidelity within their relationship.  While this is true, why then has the "side chick" become one that has garnered mass appeal?  Take for example the common hit new drama series Scandal.  As the name implies, it is short of anything less than scandalous.  The main character, played by Kerry Washington, has had a long time affair with the President of the United States.  Throughout the entire first season, I didn't want to give the show a chance.  Based on the synopsis, my mind was made up that I would not like the show without even seeing an episode.  Needless to say, after seeing countless amount of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram posts and pictures about the show, I was curious to see if it lives up to its hype.  I must admit, the show is a good show from a story line point of view, but with all the twists and turns per episode, I consistently question whether it would be as intriguing if adultery was not apparent.  Why is it that so many are so openly rooting for a steamy sexual encounter by a married man and a single woman?
I've asked this question to a select few and their response has been, "Its only television!"  Is it?  As life imitates art, and art imitates life, is it safe to refer the show as only television?  I would surely say, it is about 50% of marriages walking around, but why are we accepting of it?  Are we accepting of it when it does not affect us directly?
Another example to think about is Love and Hip Hop Atlanta.  Stevie J is a cast member, which has tumultuous relationships with two other cast members.  One cast member is the mother of one of his children, and the other is an artist signed to his record company.  Again, it is startling how accepting it is of his actions by both of these women, but even more so by mass the audience.  Initially I thought everyone gravitated toward him because of his arrogance and pure ignorance, but people actually want to see him make a happy home out of an impractical situation.  As I think as I type, I now question whether or not we are being brainwashed into thinking infidelity is ok?
As I ponder on this for a moment, I think about my coworker who is in a relationship, but recently ran into what could have been an old fling.  To add an additional level of complexity and morality to things, said coworker is considering marriage with their significant other.  After running into the prospective old fling, my coworker made a conscious decision to commit infidelity because of the feeling whenever the prospective old fling was seen.  My coworker, like many individuals, would hate to hurt the feelings of their significant other.  I believe the longer we live in the present of our own selfish wants, we start to believe for a split second "its ok" until the act is over. 
As I informed my coworker, knowing you want to act on an impulse to do do wrong, do you then place yourself in a predicament to do wrong and hope you have the ability to get yourself out, or do not place yourself in the predicament at all?  Many would say the later, but again, why is it that we still do what we know is the wrong choice?  You tell me?

No comments:

Post a Comment